Sunday, November 11, 2007

Of Schooling and Education

One of the most interesting questions I got asked at the start of this semester was if I was a masungit teacher.

I smiled at the student who asked the question.

To answer “yes” would most probably send the whole class to the registrar’s office for a change in matriculation and sectioning. To answer “no” would be partly lying.

I cannot recall if I was able to answer the question that plagued the student’s heart. But I do remember sharing with the class my educational philosophy.

I am a humanist. I believe that man is capable of improving himself and his environment. And not only is he capable of doing so but it is his responsibility. To refuse to do this, I believe, is to deny one’s humanity. As a teacher I want to see my students go beyond mere existence. I want them to find meaning in their lives. Not just to finish each semester with grades of 3’s and 2.5’s but with greater wisdom and deeper understanding of themselves and of their world. That is one of the great purposes of education.

The tragedy is that there are so many students who go to school but very few get educated.

We can point fingers as to whose fault it is. Some would readily blame the system, others would blame the teacher, and still others would blame the subject. But one thing remains: the student has the power to make something of what is given him.

I am extremely pained when I see students who merely attend classes and miss out on the fruitfulness of the experience. I cringe at the sight of eyes devoid of the passion to learn. I weep at the thought of a whole generation losing sight of such a great destiny because they have become too busy working for grades.

And it is during these times of beholding such indifference and emptiness in my students’ lives that I become masungit. Not because I am masungit but because I feel such a deep anger towards the spirit of apathy that robs this nation of its future.

I teach in defiance to the spirit of indifference. I teach to challenge the spirit who squashes my students’ passion. I teach to wage war against the spirit of mediocrity.

So, yes, I am a masungit  teacher but not really towards my students but to the spirits that prevent them from being all that they can become.

20 comments:

  1. it's a spirit and you just have to go against it

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! yeah!

    sana teacher kta pra may nagiintercede sa kin. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. kaya mag-aral ka ha, hindi lang para grumaduate kundi para ma-glorify si Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe. i realized this during tommi femrite's talk last convergence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kahit naman di kita estudyante pinag-pipray kita noh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wheow, masungit teacher :P :D

    Miss Tiaraaaa! Sana ikaw nalang prof namin sa English this semester :| :|

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, isang factor lang ang teacher sa isang course. what the student puts in determines what he/she gets out of the course. :) so enjoy this sem and make the most out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..grabe..bukod sa nosebleed ito, grabe, arang marianas trench sa lalimness!sana ganyan lahat ng propesor sa mundong ibabaw!God bless your ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. chilled*** internal hemorage*** due to excessive exposure to english and indepth insights,

    ReplyDelete
  10. i looove this part. and i loooove this post. of course, i love you more. hehe. gudlak this sem! i missed the classroom after reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. dapat lang! ;p SHOULmate (say it like regine velasquez, of course) kita eh. ;p wala ka pa ring teaching load? saya-saya naman! comm 2 at soc sci 2 ako ngayon. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha. nabaliw ako sa comment. muntik na ring magka internal hemorrhage. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the "lalimness" part. ;p see you sa windwatch (december na ulit ako makakapunta... huhu.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. aynaku,ayaw na ni inahin na magwindwatch aku xe too far, too late daw...=< tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ay... sadness. kala ko ba kasabay mo si larzone? hehe. sabagay, hindi natin masisisi ang mga mudra na mag-alala. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. tiars! i just love reading your entries. magawan nga kita ng review minsan. im into reviewing people now. hehe. mishu already! happy anniversary forever! anniversary fever ito! hehe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! na pangiti naman ako sa comment mo. anniversary fever! wohooo! :)

    ReplyDelete