Thursday, March 6, 2014

Coming Full Circle

Day 6 of 100 Happy Days


In 2006, I was working for a church ministry and one of the biggest projects that I helped to organize was a missions awareness campaign. It was a week-long event and one of the performers we had invited was a local singing group called Prasia. It was the first time I heard about them and after that missions awareness campaign, I never heard about them again.

Today, I attended a theological forum on Christology in the Philippines because the organization I am working for is planning to organize a series of conversations in indigenous communities on faith and culture. The team that led the singing at the start of the forum was Prasia.

Priasia's booth at the missions awareness campaign eight years ago

It has been eight years since that missions awareness campaign. I have been living in Davao for four years now, serving in indigenous communities. It's amazing how I "arrived" where I started and it seems like I know this place for the first time. Today, God reminded me that my journey is His story. I may not always know what lies ahead but what matters most is that I am sincerely journeying with Him.

I started on this path four years ago overly confident of my abilities and viewing the mission field from very rose colored lenses. In the past four years I have gone through romance, negative reactions to cultural differences, recognition of cultural differences, and finally a resolution and acceptance of differences. Through the difficulties of having to reframe and rethink old worldviews, God has humbled me a lot. This journey has led me to have a deeper and a more authentic understanding of Him, making me more intimate with my Creator, and of His love for peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment